The Freedom Pavilion has WWII aircraft and other "large item" displays.
Here are some updates from our email inbox:
- News coverage of the one year anniversary of 17 SEALs killed in helicopter attack in Afghanistan in 2011. [Huffington Post, Scripts, Time]
- HALO Counter-Terrorism Summit 2012 is Oct 29 - Nov 2 in San Diego, CA
- Wounded Warrior Project continues to provide services and support to veterans who are injured and in the need of aid.
- The Frontlines site has stories and videos in the news about veterans.
- Purple Stars Veterans and Families supports veterans' transition from active service to homecoming.
- PinUpsForVets is working on their 2013 calendar (news, store).
- Recently Accounted For: Lt. Col. Charles M. Walling; Maj. Aado Kommendant; Sgt. 1st Class William T. Brown; Sgt. 1st Class Donald M. Shue; Sgt. 1stClass Gunther H. Wald; Staff Sgt. John E. Hogan; [DPMO]
- Pritzker Military Library Podcasts recommendations: "Bryan Anderson: No Turning Back", "Rachel Cox: Into Dust and Fire", and "Anthony Swofford: Hotels, Hospitals and Jails".
American Forces Press Service reports that the U.S. Department of Defense has created a new website - valor.defense.gov - dedicated to "raising awareness of service members' heroism and to help deter those who falsely claim military honors"
USA TODAY has some coverage of a new signed measure by President Obama awarding the 300 surviving Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) from World War II the Congressional Gold Medal.
Pictures of the event have been posted to The WhiteHouse Picture Feed on Flickr.
Retired Army Lt. Gen. Robert Foley, retired Army Col. Roger Donlon and Army Lt. Col. Gordon Roberts all recently shared their stories and experiences to students at Hanscom Middle School. [newsblaze]
"Just three years after the Berlin Airlift and as Americans were still fighting in the Korean War, American leaders needed to know if the Soviet military was establishing an airfield capable of basing fighter aircraft, TU-4 bombers and establishing radar facilities in an unknown arctic Soviet territory.
"To determine if the Soviets were expanding into the artic area that could have made American and NATO targets vulnerable to an attack, Tech. Sgt. Roscoe Lindsay and 11 other aircrew members on an RB-50E based at Thule Air Base, Greenland, flew their jet to photograph the area to find out without a shadow of a doubt."
AP Wire is reporting that WWII US Navy veteran Roy Camero is finally getting his medals that he earned. These include: "World War II Victory Medal, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Honorable Service lapel pin, and an Honorable Discharge button."
Afghanistan veteran Craig Fitzgerald shares his stories of rehabilitation with WCAX. He is currently on a fund-raising tour for the Coalition to Salute America's Heroes to help raise funds those who return to the United States after service in Iraq or Afghanistan with serious injuries. [newsday]
The Bedford Bulletin has a very interesting and historical interview piece with retired Air Force Brigadier General Roger Smith. During his service he was: launch officer for a Titan II missile; stationed with leadership positions at Whiteman Air Force Base; assigned to the North American Aerospace Defense Command center at the Cheyenne Mountain Complex in Colorado, and part of the anti-ballistic missile (ABM) treaty negotiations with the Soviets during the 1980s.
Lastly, some notices on Veterans passing crossed the newswire:
- KCEN is reporting a sad story of a Vietnam Vet that was robbed and killed. Amazingly Barney Goodman was able to crawl "8 to 9 hours" to a position that could be seen from the highway and he was able to describe his attackers before he died. [KLTV, Veterans For America]
- WWII and Korean War US Navy veteran Peter Bolcis died on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2006. He was extremely active in his community and in veteran organizations most of his life. He served as motor machinist's mate on the submarine USS Bang in WWII, and the USS Yancey during the Korean War. [the morning journal]