The Freedom Pavilion has WWII aircraft and other "large item" displays.
Here are some updates from our email inbox:
- News coverage of the one year anniversary of 17 SEALs killed in helicopter attack in Afghanistan in 2011. [Huffington Post, Scripts, Time]
- HALO Counter-Terrorism Summit 2012 is Oct 29 - Nov 2 in San Diego, CA
- Wounded Warrior Project continues to provide services and support to veterans who are injured and in the need of aid.
- The Frontlines site has stories and videos in the news about veterans.
- Purple Stars Veterans and Families supports veterans' transition from active service to homecoming.
- PinUpsForVets is working on their 2013 calendar (news, store).
- Recently Accounted For: Lt. Col. Charles M. Walling; Maj. Aado Kommendant; Sgt. 1st Class William T. Brown; Sgt. 1st Class Donald M. Shue; Sgt. 1stClass Gunther H. Wald; Staff Sgt. John E. Hogan; [DPMO]
- Pritzker Military Library Podcasts recommendations: "Bryan Anderson: No Turning Back", "Rachel Cox: Into Dust and Fire", and "Anthony Swofford: Hotels, Hospitals and Jails".
At a recent press conference in the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta reiterated that the United States Government is "doing everything possible" to free Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl who is a listed as a Prisoner Of War (POW) held by the Taliban.
The article also mentioned that "Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at the same press conference that he has met with members of the sergeant’s family in his office and has corresponded with family members several times."
The Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) has an updated list their 2009 press releases related to identification of missing soldiers and airmen from the Korean War, World War II, and Vietnam.
The Library of Congress' Veterans History Project is an excellent resource for those looking for rich media (print, pictures, audio, and video) of American service members experiences while serving our country.
World War II prisoner of war survivor Edward Jackfert who was part of the Bataan Death march and spent nearly all of the war as a POW recently spoke to students at Franciscan University of Steubenville about his experiences. [The Intelligencer].
The Times Leader notes "honorably discharged Merchant Marine veterans of World War II are eligible for a one-time, $500 cash bonus from the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs."
Vietnam Veterans of America Post 278 recently hosted a 13th annual Ride to Remember for Korea/Vietnam War Memorial in Texarkana, TX (very close to AK).
Rain did not stop a recent veteran's ceremony at Elyria Veterans Memorial in Elyria, Ohio. World War II veteran Don Pond gave a speech on his experiences being shot down and captured over Germany in WWII. [chronicle-telegram]
Frank Pimentel of Exeter, NH is getting is WWII dog tags lost 60 yeas ago on Christmas Island in the South Pacific. [sun-chronicle]
George Johnson the last living World War I veteran in California has died at the age of 112. [google] Other veteran passings include:
- Rudy Snyder who served as a WWII tank driver with Company D, 709th Battalion. [indystar]
- Doris Tennant Westcott a leader during WWII in the Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service (WAVES). [latimes]
- Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Harry Goodall was killed on Sept. 2, 2006 while piloting his own aircraft in Texas.