Kevin Heaton has posted a great interview with his father - Albert Heaton. Mr. Albert Heaton served in the U.S. Army during World War II.
There is some great poetry at the end of the interview that Kevin wrote based on his father's experiences. We found them to be very moving and insightful.
- D-Day Vets From San Diego
- Bed and Breakfast has a great view
- Normandy gets ready for D-Day
- Vets share their stories at the D-Day Museum
- Vet sums up D-Day in one word
- DOD Special Report on D-Day
- C-47 flies with C-130J in Germany
- The UK's Telegraph WWII Section
- The Pritzker Military Library's D-Day Audio Programs
- The Atlantic's Scenes of D-Day
Please share more via comments.
The Freedom Pavilion has WWII aircraft and other "large item" displays.
It took sixty years, but a Korean War veteran Wayne Ramus has received a medal for his service in the early 1950s.
Very interesting video from DOD LIVE on YouTube entitled: "WWII Veteran Returns to the Field of Battle." (Published on Jan 7, 2013)
Cdr. Gerard Woelkers didn't grow up as a military brat, but he is the son of a World War II veteran. By taking orders to Germany, Woelkers is taking the opportunity to learn about his father's service and helping Frederick Woelkers close the book on this chapter in his life.
Here are some updates from our email inbox:
- News coverage of the one year anniversary of 17 SEALs killed in helicopter attack in Afghanistan in 2011. [Huffington Post, Scripts, Time]
- HALO Counter-Terrorism Summit 2012 is Oct 29 - Nov 2 in San Diego, CA
- Wounded Warrior Project continues to provide services and support to veterans who are injured and in the need of aid.
- The Frontlines site has stories and videos in the news about veterans.
- Purple Stars Veterans and Families supports veterans' transition from active service to homecoming.
- PinUpsForVets is working on their 2013 calendar (news, store).
- Recently Accounted For: Lt. Col. Charles M. Walling; Maj. Aado Kommendant; Sgt. 1st Class William T. Brown; Sgt. 1st Class Donald M. Shue; Sgt. 1stClass Gunther H. Wald; Staff Sgt. John E. Hogan; [DPMO]
- Pritzker Military Library Podcasts recommendations: "Bryan Anderson: No Turning Back", "Rachel Cox: Into Dust and Fire", and "Anthony Swofford: Hotels, Hospitals and Jails".
American Forces Press Service reports that the U.S. Department of Defense has created a new website - valor.defense.gov - dedicated to "raising awareness of service members' heroism and to help deter those who falsely claim military honors"
At a recent press conference in the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta reiterated that the United States Government is "doing everything possible" to free Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl who is a listed as a Prisoner Of War (POW) held by the Taliban.
The article also mentioned that "Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at the same press conference that he has met with members of the sergeant’s family in his office and has corresponded with family members several times."
John Wilkens at the Union-Tribune has an in-depth article with some great pictures of WWII Veterans visiting Washington DC including the WWII memorial.
A total of "105 veterans" took an "all-expenses-paid Honor Flight trip this weekend from San Diego were treated like heroes wherever they went. Strangers came up and thanked them for their service."
The group that puts this all together is the San Diego Honor Flight team.