The Freedom Pavilion has WWII aircraft and other "large item" displays.
Here are some updates from our email inbox:
- News coverage of the one year anniversary of 17 SEALs killed in helicopter attack in Afghanistan in 2011. [Huffington Post, Scripts, Time]
- HALO Counter-Terrorism Summit 2012 is Oct 29 - Nov 2 in San Diego, CA
- Wounded Warrior Project continues to provide services and support to veterans who are injured and in the need of aid.
- The Frontlines site has stories and videos in the news about veterans.
- Purple Stars Veterans and Families supports veterans' transition from active service to homecoming.
- PinUpsForVets is working on their 2013 calendar (news, store).
- Recently Accounted For: Lt. Col. Charles M. Walling; Maj. Aado Kommendant; Sgt. 1st Class William T. Brown; Sgt. 1st Class Donald M. Shue; Sgt. 1stClass Gunther H. Wald; Staff Sgt. John E. Hogan; [DPMO]
- Pritzker Military Library Podcasts recommendations: "Bryan Anderson: No Turning Back", "Rachel Cox: Into Dust and Fire", and "Anthony Swofford: Hotels, Hospitals and Jails".
American Forces Press Service reports that the U.S. Department of Defense has created a new website - valor.defense.gov - dedicated to "raising awareness of service members' heroism and to help deter those who falsely claim military honors"
At a recent press conference in the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta reiterated that the United States Government is "doing everything possible" to free Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl who is a listed as a Prisoner Of War (POW) held by the Taliban.
The article also mentioned that "Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at the same press conference that he has met with members of the sergeant’s family in his office and has corresponded with family members several times."
Sergeant First Class Jared C. Monti, U.S. Army with the Medal of Honor. His parents Janet and Paul Monti joined President Obama at the White House for the commemoration.
The San Diego Union-Tribune for Sunday, August 2, 2009 has two interesting veteran related news stories:
USA TODAY has some coverage of a new signed measure by President Obama awarding the 300 surviving Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) from World War II the Congressional Gold Medal.
Pictures of the event have been posted to The WhiteHouse Picture Feed on Flickr.
The Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) has an updated list their 2009 press releases related to identification of missing soldiers and airmen from the Korean War, World War II, and Vietnam.
The San Diego Union-Tribune recently published an article entitled "Honoring 'Chosin Few': Korean War battle vets share their stories for upcoming documentary" written by Rick Rogers.